Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Chosen

A Novel by Chaim Potok



"Reuven, listen to me. The Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself. One is to acquire a teacher. Do you remember the other?"
"Choose a friend," I said.
"Yes. You know what a friend is, Reuven? A Greek philosopher said that two people who are true friends are like two bodies with one soul."

I finished this book last night and then dreamt about it over and over again. It is a beautiful story - a classic that I had never read and one I may not have read without the help of my book club. On the surface, this book explores the varied facets of the Jewish faith in America during WWII and the complex spiritual and intellectual discord between two Jewish boys and their fathers. But this story is really about perception, faith, relationships, dedication and love. Had I known the author focused so extensively on studying the Talmud and Hasidism vs. Zionism, I seriously doubt my interest would have been piqued. Thankfully, I didn't know and I couldn't put the book down. I enjoyed every morsel. After a book full of heartache and confusion, the final chapters left me with such a feeling of peace and understanding I can hardly tell.

Favorite Quotes:

"You are no longer a child, Reuven, . . .It is almost possible to see the way your mind is growing. And your heart, too. . . .So listen to what I am going to tell you. . . .Human beings do not live forever, Reuven. We live less than the time it takes to blink an eye, if we measure our lives against eternity. So it may be asked what value is there to a human life. There is so much pain in the world. What does it mean to have to suffer so much if our lives are nothing more than the blink of an eye? . . .I learned a long time ago, Reuven, that a blink of an eye in itself is nothing. But the eye that blinks, that is something. A span of life is nothing. But the man who lives the span, he is something. He can fill that tiny span with meaning, so its quality is immeasurable though its quantity may be insignificant. Do you understand what I am saying? A man must fill his life with meaning, meaning is not automatically given to life. It is hard work to fill one's life with meaning. That I do not think you understand yet. A life filled with meaning is worthy of rest. I want to be worthy of rest when I am no longer here. Do you understand what I am saying?" ~ Reuven's Father, David Malter

"He was born trapped. I don't ever want to be trapped the way he's trapped. I want to be able to breathe, to think what I want to think, to say the things I want to say. I'm trapped now, too. Do you know what it feels like to be trapped? ... How could you possible know? Its the most hellish, choking, constricting feeling in the world. I scream with every bone in my body to get out of it. My mind cries to get out of it. But I can't. Not now. One day I will, though. I'll want you around on that day, friend. I'll need you around on that day." ~Danny Saunders

No comments: