Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Longing for The Quad

After the gloomiest March in all my years, Spring is here! And the cherry blossoms are everywhere. Cherry blossoms transport me back to my college days - particularly my first year at UW. I was living in the dorms and walked through The Quad every afternoon. When Spring hit that first year, the trees blossomed overnight. After a long day of classes, I began my weary way back toward the dorm. I stepped into the Quad and stopped mid-step. It was breathtaking. That was probably the first week I skipped classes in my college life. A trend that unfortunately became a habit - especially in the Spring. (Um...my old roommates are not allowed to comment about my class-skipping habits as none of you would find that very interesting in the slightest). It was the perfect place for lunch, a nap or reading a novel instead of your statistics book. See (above) all those students lying about on the grass? I was one of those.

I ran across these pictures online. If you've never seen The Quad in the Spring, check these out and then go have a picnic. And I apologize for all the Quad-envy that will follow if you attended a less-worthy institution. Go Huskies!

Pictures:







"Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems."
~Rainer Maria Rilke, 20th Century German Poet

"Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
~Robin Williams, Comedian/Actor

4 comments:

The Perkins Family said...

Those are gorgeous pictures! I love cherry blossom trees. They are just breathtaking!

Unknown said...

Haha, I can see Zeke nodding his head in approval of that post. The end part about go huskies. I quizzed him a bit once. I asked him, 'What if our kids want to be cougars?' Haha, immediate no from him. I told him BYU were cougars and he did a smaller, 'oh.' You husky people are a little crazy.

Cailean said...

I miss the Quad too :( They were like big pink clouds every day.

capturingtheride said...

I get to do a family photo session on UW Campus next weekend - so exciting! Another great place: The Arboretum! I was there last weekend and it is totally in bloom! It feels heavenly! :)