Friday, September 11, 2009

Kapow!

Noah is six. Six year olds boys everywhere enjoy the same things: dirt, kung fu and superheroes. So, naturally Noah celebrated his birthday this week with a superhero party at our place, complete with 14 other superkids. It was crazy loud at our house, but it was filled with laughter and excitement. Each guest received their own cape and eye mask to decorate during the party. Noah & Emma decorated the house with superhero toys and everyone had a ball playing with them - especially the girls. They played "Pass the Kryptonite" (hot potato), "Kapow! Practice" (drew villian faces on balloons and then punched them like crazy) and then rescued Tyler when "Chance the Supervillian" kidnapped him. Chance was brought to justice when the kids put him in jail (a chair) and tied him up with toilet paper. Then they tortured him by pinching his nose and poking his eyes! I laughed so hard, I cried!





It was exhausting, but worth it. After the last child left, our home was quiet and terribly messy. I sat down and thought about my boy. I thought how small he was 6 years ago. I thougth how when I brought him home from the hospital he was too small for a carseat and had to ride home in a "car-bed". I thought about how I pulled over three times on that ride home to make sure he was OK in that bed. I thought how very soon (hopefully) he'll begin Kindergarten. I thought how soon enough he won't want superhero parties or his mother's chocolate cake. Soon enough, he'll be too busy for us to stop and play hot potato or anything else and will think himself too old for such games. It brought tears to my eyes. I decided to enjoy his enthusiam and general boyish wildness more. I decided to live in the moment more and listen to his stories more and be more forgiving of his messy ways.

And then I fell asleep in the recliner.


"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes." ~Author Unknown

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The 'bad villain' treatment was hilarious. I don't think there would have been a dry eye in the place from laughing so hard(adults anyhow).

jack!e @ One Saturday Morning said...

Wow it looks like you did an amazing job with the party!! I'm sure all the kids had a blast. And I love the quote at the bottom...=)

bendanielsfamily said...

Kyle LOVED the party. Ben said "Sounds like Michaelynn really knows how to throw a party:) "

Cailean said...

WOW that is awesome!!!! And hilarious because Nathan was the "bad guy" at our party too and we also had the kids tie him up with toilet paper! Oh the things dads will do. Your party sounds way more fun because we only had two guests so it wasn't as crazy fun. Little boy parties are the best! I love your capes, cake, etc.!!!! Fun mom!!!

kim said...

So I finally found your blog. I have been trying to for a while. You guys look so great and like you have so much fun. That is so wonderful. I love the birthday ideas. We just did Addie's birthday and she is the only girl in our branch her age so we almost did a superhero party. If I would have read this post first i think I might have. I love it!