Tuesday, September 1, 2009

RIP

**Note:  This post is from a conversation saved in my drafts from a few years ago.  Blogger somehow didn't save the date for me, but I believe it was sometime in the fall of 2009. 

The Covington McDonald's is going to be demolished. We drove by this afternoon find a "closed" sign and a barrier fence around it. When I explained to Noah and Emma that someone was tearing it down, they burst into tears! Noah strangled out an anguished "WHY?!" I explained that they just didn't like that building and needed to tear it down in order to build something better.

Emma: "But I LOVE that building!"

I then explained that a new McDonald's will be built in the same place. Noah pondered this for a bit and decided that it must be that someone complained about the building not being "green". He wasn't talking about the environment, but the color of the roof. (In Minnesota, we had two McDonald's - one with a red roof and one green.) Yes, that must be it. He looked over the building and nodded his head. Then the two of them had a lively debate about what would be different and the same and whether the big M sign would be replaced. Emma insisted it would be while Noah held firm that he had seen the same signs in front of the "green" McDonalds, too.

How interesting to listen to them debate. Emma, wildly dramatic and hotly emotional about her opinions. Noah, presenting his case with obvious "facts" to support it.  I love them.

No comments: