Monday, August 31, 2009

In Her Element

We finally went camping with friends at Ensign Ranch last weekend. It was a short trip, but we were grateful to squeeze it in before the summer ended. Our camping plans were seriously thwarted this year due to Chance's surgery last month. Suddenly the summer is over, school is about to start, and soccer season will be upon us again. We had a good time. We stayed in a teepee instead of setting up our tent and the kids loved it. There was a burn ban so camp fires were restricted. It just isn't the same without a camp fire. And there were massive hornet nests throughout the campground. Unbelievably no one was stung.

On Saturday, we signed the kids up for horseback rides. They aren't quite old enough yet for trail rides, but they were able to walk their horses around for awhile. Emma was in heaven. She's been begging to go riding for months. She's ready to move onto the ranch permanently.

I've never been horse crazy. I like horses and I think they're beautiful, but they make me nervous. My uncle Jim had horses on his property in Oregon when I was young. I still remember riding and feeding apples to their horse, Nugget. But then in Jr. High, my friend Misty took me on a horse ride and her horse rolled with me on it!  It scarred me for life. I wasn't hurt, but I realized right then how much control I didn't have and never wanted to feel like that again.

Basically, I'm a big chicken. Its nice to see I didn't pass that along to my daughter (or the boys).


"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill










No comments: