Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Woes of Moving

Moving is so inconvenient. The hassle of packing up everything you own and driving it across the country coupled with the pleasure of looking for your shower curtain at 5:00 am your first day back to work is misery. Its normal to lose a box or two during each move, which matters little unless they happen to contain the beaters for the mixer, the spare key to the car, or the children's immunization records. Eating fast food and pizza while the kitchen is packed and then unpacked is somewhat disgusting. And then there are the obvious inconveniences of new phone numbers, email addresses, mailing address, doctors, dentists, schools and a completely foreign system for doing everything a new way. Obtaining a new driver's license, license plates and voter registration ... Why is it all so complicated? Why do I have to bring 12 pieces of mail to prove I live here?

I have been so thrilled to be back in the Northwest that such inconveniences are very tolerable this time around. Once again we're close to family and friends and the weather is just how I like it. I can go outside without getting completely devoured by mosquitoes and the post man delivers mail right to my house. YAY! Its so nice to be back. Or at least, it was until last week when I realized that I wanted Chinese food. Chinese food is serious. I have no idea where to get my chow mein. I don't want to test-drive new restaurants when a serious craving hits. All my favorite places are too far away and I'm once again in new territory. Now along with finding a new dentist, I have to find a new Chinese restaurant. Moving stinks.

"You do not sew with a fork, and I see no reason why you should eat with knitting needles."
~Miss Piggy, on Chinese Food and Chopsticks

2 comments:

Cailean said...

That is such a funny quotation :) I can totally see Miss Piggy saying that! So where are you guys now??

Michaelynn said...

Cailean, we're back in the NW, but not in North Seattle. We're in Covington now ... do you know where that is? In between Kent and Maple Valley. We love it.