Monday, July 28, 2008

Leaves on the Trees

I remember in 3rd Grade at Sacajawea Elementary School when Mr. Kimura told me he thought I needed glasses. I remember the absolute insulting embarrassment of that conversation. How dare he suggest that I need glasses?! How embarrassing that he noticed I couldn't see the board. Somehow my mother discovered I needed glasses, too, and a few weeks later I walked out of the optometrist's office in my first pair of eyeglasses. I remember clearly the drive home. I exclaimed to my mother in amazement my ability to see each of the leaves on the trees - so clearly, so distinctly. I had no idea what I had been missing in the world. Everything was clear and crisp and beautiful to me. The traffic signs, my mother's eyelashes, and much more. But most of all, I remember the leaves.

Tyler received his first pair of eyeglasses a few days ago. When his teacher Mrs. Foster suggested an eye exam I could feel Tyler's outrage and fear. I knew it firsthand. We picked up the glasses on Monday and drove home. Just the two of us. I shared with him my first experience in my glasses. I told him about the trees and the leaves. On the drive home he excitedly described to me all the wonders of the world he could now see in such fantastic clarity. It was a moment to cherish and I gratefully shared it with him. I wonder if he'll remember that drive home as I have remembered mine from so long ago. I hope so.

"The real voyage of discovery consists of not in seeking new landscapes ... but in having new eyes."
~Marcel Proust



4 comments:

Darwin O-2-5 said...

I had heard the "leaves on the tree" story from you while you worked here. It is nice story. This post's triumph, though, is in wedding that story with Tyler's, and through that union drawing a feeling from your past and casting it forward into Tyler's future. Nicely done, and all with an economy of words Mr. Lincoln would have found admirable.

None of this detracts from my continued envy of folks like you who wear glasses. Despite a family history of bad eyesight and twenty- plus years of law I still don't have the glasses I've wanted since grade school...

Cailean said...

This was such a sweet post! And I love the photo of your youngest two with glasses :) They actually look very hip and happenin'! Okay I sound like I'm 80 years old :)

Alicia said...

Aww Kara was not happy to get reading glasses last year but now she is glad to be able to read cause she loves books! Great picture of the 2!!

TamBaum said...

What an awesome blog! I am adding you to my list.