Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summer Reading

I love reading in the summer. There is almost nothing better than spending a lazy afternoon immersed in something new. Reading is one of my passions and it is something that I do really well. I’m not really sure what that means, but I know it is true. When I read I travel some place created by the author’s words. I become a part of that place. And I cannot completely escape until the story ends and I reluctantly return to reality. I am easily snared by a good story. And if the story is especially captivating, I dream about it. Only in my dreams I add odd things that really don’t fit in the story… like pancakes and laundry.

This summer I’ve already added over 36 notches to my reading belt. I feel like I’m having a contest with myself! But, in all honesty, I haven’t been reading much thought-provoking literature of late. I’ve read a lot of books that made me laugh. No deep meditation required. But I think I like to leave my “thinking books” to the winter reading season. Maybe because Spring and Summer seem so fun and flirty; while autumn reminds me of returning to school and discovering new ideas and rain. I guess my brain still likes to take a summer vacation. (This also might explain why my fall quarter grades tended to fare better than Spring quarter when the Quad at UW blossomed.) But thankfully there are many good books to be enjoyed that do not require excessive brain power. Notwithstanding, I still love a good plot twist and clever dialogue. I just don’t want to take notes to keep up with the storyline. At least, not until September…

"I like being around books. It makes me feel civilized.
The only way to do all the things you'd like to do is to read."
~ Tom Clancy ~

No comments: