Friday, July 11, 2008

The Temperament of Traffic Lights

We were driving in the car today and came to a stop at a red traffic light. The following is my conversation with Noah. This is classic Noah.

Noah: "Mom, I think the red lights are mad."

Mom: "You do?"

Noah: "Yeah, and the green lights are happy."

Mom: "Oh, OK." (chuckling)

Noah: "And the yellow lights are .... confused."

I wish I could have recorded the moment. Then I would be able to savor the memory of the exact look in his eye, the inflections in his voice and the weighty pause as he thoughtfully considered those yellow lights. Tyler and Emma also have their share of enchanting moments, but Noah seems to be at that particular point in development where his insights into the world are especially intriging and amusing. How lucky am I to converse with such brilliance on a daily basis. A few months back, I sent my dad an email regarding a similar conversation with Noah. I enjoyed his response:

"What a fertile mind the little dude has! .... You know there is the known physical universe that you and I know, and then there's the universe that Noah spends a lot of his time in ... it's a different kind of place."

How true. The sad thing is that in not so short a time I will forget the entire conversation until perhaps I come across it scrolling through this blog.

"We do not remember days, we remember moments.
The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten."
~ Cesare Pavese, italian poet

3 comments:

Cailean said...

I loooooove reading conversations people have with their kids. Their little minds are so amazing! It is crazy to think how easily we will forget these days and how they looked and acted and what they said and did. Okay I'm getting verklempt! Talk amongst yourselves!

Jacob said...

Isn't that the truth. What profound moments of perspective! And what great memories. Glad you've joined the blogging world! Your family is beautiful and your words bring it all to life!

Darwin O-2-5 said...

Yellow lights being indecisive! What a hoot. I wonder what he'd think of those flashing green lights up in Canada.

You know my boys. An equally mouthy lot to be sure. Patrick was already about 6 when you met him. His verbal skills as an infant were like something from a Stephen King novel. Capable of speaking in full grammatically correct sentences from about the age of 8 mos, what he chose to talk about at that age revealed an often frightening glimpse into the universe. I'll never forget him telling Laura and I at about 9 mos about going to sleep. "It's like I go back to the place from before when it was dark." I assumed he was referring to something he still remembered from prior to his birth. Cue Twilight Zone music.

Daniel used to complain as a five year old when my mother would write his birthday card notes in all capitals, assuming Daniel could not read lower case letters. "Why does Grandma always yell at me?"