Tuesday, September 9, 2008

5 YEARS!

Noah is 5 today. I simply cannot believe it. A whole handful of years gone by. In some ways I can't remember what life was like without Noah, but in others it feels like he only just arrived here as a tiny baby. Noah was our miracle baby. He proved all our medical experts false that I could conceive a child. Tyler came along in our fourth year of marriage suddenly with only a few days notice. The adoption process took over 18 months to complete, but it was final one week before Noah was born. The pregnancy was somewhat difficult for me, but I had never been so happy or worried about someone I had never met. I couldn't imagine I could love another child as much as I loved Tyler, but I remember my mother-in-law Jayne telling me that babies arrive with their own extra love. How true! Somehow my heart expanded enormously to include him. At the end of the pregnancy, I became extremely ill. My doctor had to deliver Noah almost 7 weeks early. He arrived at 4:09 pm on September 9th, 2003. He was so tiny! Only 4 lbs. 15 oz. and was a mere 18 inches long. When curled up he was just a bit longer than Chance's hand. The doctors were sure he would need to stay in the NICU for about 4 weeks. But miraculously, Noah was much more developed than the doctors imagined and he came home only a few days later. I remember what a beautiful feeling there was in our home after he left the hospital. His sweet little spirit filled our home. I remember how very real and tangible it felt to me.

Since that day, Noah has been our joy. He is shy, tender, uniquely perceptive about the world and full of imagination and comedy. I have no idea where or how he will journey through this life, but I enjoy watching his travels.

“When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.” ~ E.T. Sullivan

Below: homage to Noah, including a hospital shot with Chance's hand.

5 comments:

Jolie said...

I lost your blog, but found it again! Your post about Noah reminded me of my time in the NICU with Sophia and Natalia. I didn't realize Noah was a preemie. Isn't it amazing to see how they are now compared to how Tiny they were! After learning both of my premature births were due to infections in my placenta, I said, no more babies. Or should I say, I think God was telling me, "no more babies". I think I have enough anyway! Hope you are doing well. Keep in touch!

Michaelynn said...

I know what you mean, Jolie. I look at what a solid little man Noah is today and its just amazing how much he has grown and changed from that tiny thing in the NICU. And yeah, you probably do have enough babies!

bendanielsfamily said...

Happy Birthday Noah!!! (Late though:( ) I hope your family is feeling better- and hopefully Noah wasn't sick on his bday :(

Cailean said...

I remember those early days with Tyler. He was such a sweetie then and seemingly still is! It was so nice to find your blog again and to see how you've been able to have your own children. You are obviously such a WONDERFUL mother!

Jacob said...

He is A-dorable! What a blessed lady you are :) And how blessed he is to have you as his momma :)