Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Elections

When I was young the most important elections for me were for my middle school class officers. During the school assembly, the candidates would stand and give speeches about all the fine things they would do if elected (i.e. installing a new Coke machine). Based on their words I would form opinions about their self-confidence and intelligence and eventually decide my vote. But I do admit my vote could be cheaply purchased with some cool stickers or lollipops that carried messages of "Vote for Heather" over another's mundane flyers. I realized at the time that the candidates' promises were irrelevant as they were unlikely to achieve them. A 12 year-old student had little impact on whether or not the school signed a contract with Coke, but it still sounded great. In reality, my vote came down to two things: who said they would give me the things I wanted and who I simply liked more.

Today, I find myself in a similar position. I listen to the debates and try to determine who I believe can grant me all I desire and who I generally "like" more. The campaign promises are more difficult to follow. Of course, the things I want have changed - but not much. As a 12 year-old, life didn't get much better than some sweets, a soda and stickers. Or at least it didn't in my day. Those were symbols of our prosperity and happiness. My symbols are different now, but they continue to represent the same ideals. I simply want to be happy and to prosper in this life with my family.

But lollipops are nice, too.

1 comment:

Cailean said...

I am feeling the same way. I know it's not realistic to hold them to their campaign promises, but there's something about Obama that really instills hope. I don't know if I should be voting for someone based on how they make me feel or based on their past record. This is a tough choice. Not that my vote really matters...but it matters to me and to my decision-making progression :)