Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Project

My grandmother used to sew adorable things for me when I was little. As I got older she attempted on numerous occasions to pass on her sewing secrets to me, but I was never similarly inclined. I had little interest in learning to sew. My passions were more geared to music. At that time I did not understand the draw of sewing. Perhaps it was because I remembered the horror of Theo's shirt (handmade by Denise) on The Cosby Show. Jayne (my mother-in-law) bought me a sewing machine three years ago when she visited us in Minnesota. She completed several projects with it during her visit, but it has since stayed packed away in its box. Until last week, that is.

I made this dress for Emma with Jayne's assistance. She instructed me throughout the project, but I sewed it on my own. A few weeks ago during a quick stop at JoAnn's I discovered this lovely bolt of light cordoroy and immediately felt impressed to make Emma a dress. I have no idea where this stroke of sewing passion came from; possibly my Grandmother's blood coursing through my body speaks louder when I'm at a fabric store. I took it home and realized that I don't speak seamstress. The pattern contained several terms I had never before heard and I quickly realized I had no idea what I was doing. Thankfully, Jayne is nearby and gave me a crash course on sewing. The most important of which was how to thread my sewing machine.

I now understand why people like to sew. I look at this and I feel tremendously satisfied.
Clip from The Cosby Show - Season 1, Episode 8

6 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

very cute, and impressive. i should try sometime, my mom and grandma also tried passing the sewing passion to me, and it just didn't work...

jjstringham said...

That is so adorable! I love the fabric! And it turned out way better than Theo's shirt. :-)

Ashley said...

I saw her wearing it on Sunday and thought it was so cute. I had no idea it was handmade. Impressive. I just tried my hand at sewing for the first time too - I made a quilt. Maybe it's something in the air?

The Ahlstrom Family said...

I am VERY impressed!! From one that can barely sew a straight line on my machine, I have to say that you give me hope! :) I have been trying my own sewing project - a quiet book for the kids - but I have been working on it for 3 years so I defintely needed a little push like this! :) Great job!!

Jer said...

I totally remember Theo's shirt - that's so funny! What is it about mothers-in-law and sewing machines? My mom got one for my wife too; but she's never got the sewing bug. To this day, if Rach ever wants to sew anything (which happens about 1 time every three or four years), she has to have me thread the needle.

The Perkins Family said...

It's beautiful! I think the sewing gene ending up in your blood after all!!!