Friday, March 27, 2009

One Man's Sacrifice

Over the last five weeks we have visited the auto repair shop several times. The people there definitely know Chance by name these days. Before our vacation, we spent around $2000 repairing the van and the Jeep. Not the best way to start out a vacation, but at least our two vehicles were back on track again in good condition.

Or so we thought.

A few days ago, when Chance was driving home from work, the Jeep started smoking/steaming like mad. Thankfully he was not too far from our friendly repairman and was able to coast over to the shop. The kids were quite distressed to see the steamy billows pouring from the Jeep when we arrived to rescue my stranded husband. It turns out the heat core failed/died/blew up and the repair job would be an additional $800. Our other option was to leave it, bypass the heat core and have no heater in the Jeep. Chance and I discussed it. He mentioned that Spring is slowly arriving and shortly it will be Summer. Surely, we can wait on this heat core repair another few months when things aren't so tight. Surely we can do that. Surely. So, that's what we did. We bypassed the heat core and the Jeep is heater-less.

I phoned him at work yesterday morning to find out if the car held up OK during his commute. He said everything was fine, but he had to stop at Tully's. He said "I needed a hot cocoa. It was snowing on my way to the office." This morning there was frost all over the car when I went out for the day - 2 hours after Chance left. I love this man. I don't know how he is surviving, but he hasn't complained once.

2 comments:

Cailean said...

Oh that is so sweet. "Sacrifice" is indeed the word and I think our husbands do sacrifice more than we probably realize. Cars are such an endless money pit! Good idea to not get it repaired now though!

Laura said...

Chance is a much better person than I.... the air conditioner went out on the jeep at the end of last summer and we decided not to get it fixed to save money... besides I grew up without air conditioning.. that's what windows are for... right? Sad to say I did my fair share of complaining each time I got in the jeep when it was hot outside. How spoiled we are! Good thing I wasn't a pioneer... I know those wagons didn't have air conditioning and they had to wear long dresses!