Monday, March 14, 2011

TMI

Yesterday afternoon we had the "sex talk" with Tyler.  I was completely worried about it and Chance was completely calm.  Chance did most of the talking - in fact I left the room for the first part so they could talk ... man to man about  .... uh ... man things.  Tyler was visibly uncomfortable at times, but I think it went really well.  I am relieved that he truly seemed in the dark about the whole thing and I don't think he believes he'll ever actually want to engage in sex.  I'm so happy he was clueless!  YAY!  You never really know what is happening with kids when they're on the bus or playing when the adults aren't around. 

I won't share much about the conversation except to say that I was really grateful that Tyler has a spiritual foundation that we could lean on to explain choices and consequences, morality and standards.  It became a teaching moment on more than one level and I felt the calm assurance of the Spirit guiding us along.  Although I worried,  it was surprisingly easy to talk about.  

But even though it was a serious conversation, Chance and I struggled not to laugh when he said the following things:

"...uh...I don't think I need to know about this...."

"My friends and I don't talk about this stuff!  We talk about Pokemon!"

"So....you guys are doing this all the time?"

and then when it was over:
"Can I play my DS?  I need to do something to get my mind off this stuff..."

4 comments:

Cailean said...

I feel better because I'm worried too. Oh my goodness, his comments are SOOOOOOOOOOOO hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha. Kids.

kim said...

That is funny! i love it! And way to go btw, that is a hard thing to do and you guys sound like you did a great job!!

Mags said...

I have been reading up on how to do this and pushing Zeke to read too. I loved your son's comments though. Those were great.

iDave said...

I got some of the same a few years ago and even lately after a refresher conversation. ps... I have seen through the windows on the bus these days... now that's TMI)