Monday, November 21, 2011

Blessings of a Blog

My kids love to hear stories from when they were babies or very small.  Emma pesters me every day for more of her and the boys.  It's gotten so bad I'm running out of stories.  And I've come to the realization that I have a horrible black hole in my memory for most of Emma's younger (baby) years.  Every time I tell her I need more time to think of another story, she looks at me with such disappointment and sadness that I can't bear it!  I know there are stories out there, I just need to locate them in my mind!  Maybe its the pregnancy or maybe its the sleep deprivation from the last 10 years of motherhood.  Whatever the reason, I've lost something precious.  I hope I find them again.

Last night, Emma and Tyler were both begging for a story or two - or twelve.  I got desperate so I looked up this blog and started reading old posts, both published and not.  And we had a great time reminiscing together and laughing at their silliness.  What a relief and a blessing! 

And now...you can guess what I'm feeling.  Guilt!  Horrible, guilty worry because I haven't kept up posting all these months and life has carried on with no new stories recorded in a place I can reach them whenever they are demanded. 

And so, I am going to try again.  And again.  And again.  I'm going to edit some of my unpublished posts and post them.  I'm going to share some of the "fun" of this pregnancy and what I can remember of our year so far.  And maybe I'll get back in the habit one day soon.  After all, baby number four will be arriving soon and in a few short years will begin demanding stories of her own. 


"No one is commonplace, and I doubt if you can ever read a biography from which you cannot learn something from the difficulties overcome and the struggles made to succeed. These are the measuring rods for the progress of humanity.  As we read the stories of great men, we discover that they did not become famous overnight nor were they born professionals or skilled craftsmen. The story of how they became what they are may be helpful to us all.  Your own journal, like most others, will tell of problems as old as the world and how you dealt with them."
~Spencer W. Kimball, 1975


"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us."
~Oscar Wilde, from The Importance of Being Earnest

3 comments:

Cailean said...

This is so true! I mostly blog for our kids because they get such a kick out of reading it. Just as I wish my parents kept more journals, because it gave me an insight into their mind, our kids get to know us better through us writing about them. I try to spend 10 minutes a day writing a blog post and a quick summary of the day in a separate journal document. I figure I have 10 minutes to spare for posterity! It's hard though!

Jeannie said...

This is why I slave away at our blog! Sometimes it's so stressful to make time for it, but I know it's the only way to preserve our family memories. Thanks for the reminder to keep it up! And, seriously, your kids say hilarious things!

Mags said...

I went to a fireside on Sunday and there was an African proverb quoted that I will never forget. When an old person dies, it's like a library burns down. So now instead of recording what do as a family, I am trying to put in how we felt about things and not skip over the hard stuff. I'm not a good writer so it's hard. I love reading about your kids conversations. They make me laugh.