Friday, December 9, 2011

Wednesday Wednesday

Warning:  long post ahead.

Wednesday was an insane day.   I haven't had time to organize a post about it until now.  It started out fine.  I spent the day being somewhat productive.  I made a baby blanket for our mystery girl.  I bought myself received a new sewing machine last year that rocks.  It's not too complicated, works perfectly and is called "The Audrey" which I interpreted to mean Audrey Hepburn and that makes it even cooler.  I'm still learning all the sewing terminology:  bobbins, pressure foot, thread tension, etc. (Whatevs.  I just want the needle to poke the fabric and sew it together.)  Over Thanksgiving, Danielle and I found some adorable flannels on super sale.  I decided to make some receiving blankets because I thought to myself ... "It's a rectangle.  How hard can that be?"  And "that's such a good mommy-ish thing to do for my new baby."  Of course, I didn't factor in the fact that I'm pregnant and completely brainless these days.  It really is just a rectangle and isn't all that difficult for normal people; but I'm sewing impaired.  I had to make two phone calls (to my grandma and MIL) and study the machine's instructions for 20 minutes before I figured it out.  (Yes, the machine is easy to use, but I forgot how to thread it.)  And then... Success!  TaDa!  Here is blanket #1:


Not bad, huh?  I was so proud of myself.  Unfortunately, Chance didn't praise and admire it as much as I deserved.  He's so ... masculine about everything.  How hard is it to say the blanket is adorable and I'm the sexiest wife and mother ever for making it?  So I had to post it on Facebook to pump up my ego.  Thank goodness for Facebook friends who made me feel like a domestic diva.  I also made another one Thursday:


My baby is so lucky to have a mom like me, right?  Um.....sure.

Back to the rest of the day....It was in the midst of sewing and other things that I noticed baby girl wasn't moving around much.  She wasn't responding to the usual stimuli - eating, ice water, lying on my side, Reese's pb cups, etc.  Her movement counts were unusually low - not her usual self.  I had to call the doctor's office about other matters and mentioned the decreased movement.  Remember my high risk pregnancy status?  I go in for check ups twice a week to check for placenta problems and possible preeclampsia onset.  After a brief consult with one of the doctor's I was ordered to come in for an emergency NST/ultrasound in Tacoma.  Saying "come in right now" to a pregnant mom is stupid.  I freaked out a little.  I looked at my clock and noticed that the kids were getting out of school in 4 minutes.  So, I frantically called the school, my neighbor to watch the kids and Chance and got on the road while sobbing like a crazy emotional pregnant woman.   And then I worried the whole way there.  I ate most of a bag of mini Reese's peanut butter cups as I tried not to think about the people I know who've lost a late term baby or the fact that Chance was probably dying in a car accident at that moment as he raced from work to meet me.  And of course, there was an unexpected construction detour along the way.  Plus, I have never felt so disgusting as I did that afternoon.  I looked at myself in the mirror and realized my face was bright red, I hadn't combed my hair or done anything with myself all day.  And I could smell that I needed a shower .... badly.  Thank goodness doctor's and nurses are so forgiving. 

But...all is well!  Baby girl was just sleepy.  She performed wonderfully in her ultrasound and all my other vitals, etc were perfect.  It was an exhausting afternoon that ended with good news.  (Oh, and a side note about the Reese's pb cups....its OK that I ate them.  I have gestational diabetes, but my doctor told me I can have a little somethin' if my "mood" calls for it.  Plus, I'm on a pill which means I can cheat whenever I want totally helps out if I accidentally eat too many carbs or something.)


We returned home, picked up the kids and immediately ran to the school for Tyler's very first 5th grade band performance.  He started playing the trumpet a couple of months ago just like his dad did when he was younger.  It was an interestingly discordant musical experience that went on and on.  Emma and Noah practically passed out from boredom.  But baby girl woke up and kicked and wiggled all night to the "music."  Tyler's group was the youngest band with only a couple months experience.  They were adorable and very ... squeaky.  I loved it.  I even recorded their last song "Jingle Bells" so that I could share it.  Tyler is right in the middle behind the girl with the horn (I can't think of the name of that horn right now.  I was never in band.  I played the piano, OK?)

Enjoy!

[Update:  Well, it turns out that blogger hates me or hates my video or hates 5th grade bands.  No video clip for now. Sorry guys!  I'm sure you're really sad about this.  But just imagine a bunch of 10 year olds playing instruments that they picked up for the first time 6-8 weeks ago.]
Aren't they adorable?  I smile every time I watch it.  And Tyler was pretty happy with himself, too.  After a worrisome afternoon, it was nice to watch my boy proudly toot his horn!  (Chance is groaning out loud right now.)  Here he is with his with his cool new trumpet and clashing belt.  (*Sigh* Will that boy ever learn?)



"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother."
~Lin Yutang

And speaking of bad days....Here is my favorite iPhone auto-correct right now.  It is actually from early this year and was voted one of the top most hilarious auto-corrects of the year.  So, if you're into this stuff, you've probably seen this before.  Chance just showed it to me the other day.  It made me laugh so hard, I cried. And then I went into a full-blown low blood sugar attack - uncontrollable sobbing due to low sugar. It took Chance and the kids a few minutes to figure out what was happening with me.  Ah...pregnancy is such fun.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

jjstringham said...

No video. :(

Ashley said...

I love the blankets. Very impressive. I especially love the fabric on that first one. So cute! I am glad everything is okay.

탄탄대로 (Tantandaro) said...

Congratulations on making your blankets!
You look like a happy family.