Friday, December 12, 2008

Bell Square vs. Disneyland

Last night we went to Snowflake Lane at Bell Square. After hearing great things about it, I guess I was slightly disappointed. I should have done more research before we drove all the way there. For some reason I had it in my head there would be a parade of toy soldiers in the streets. And unfortunately, that is what I told my kids. That is not exactly what happened.

This is what did happen. There were toy soldiers/nutcrackers drumming magnificently. They were loud and cool and exciting as they streamed out of the buildings and marched to their posts on the sides of the street. The drums beat to music projected over the crowd while several characters (snowmen, penguins, soldiers on stilts, snow princesses, etc) strolled the sidewalks and interacted with the kids giving away peppermint lollipops. Snowflakes were projected onto the surrounding buildings and snow (thick bubbles) did indeed fall from the sky. And the scene was beautiful. Holiday lights, nutcrackers, children everywhere. The music and drums continued for about 15 minutes. Sounds good, doesn't it? What's wrong with me?

But there was no parade. There was a street full of traffic. Those cars driving by detracted from all that musical talent. The street was never closed and the nutcrackers didn't march around with all those cool characters and dance in the streets. I waited and waited for the moment when that would happen so the fun could really start. It never did and I sat thinking how sad it was that an opportunity for holiday greatness was lost. What a difference it would make to close off those three blocks for 15 minutes and have a parade with all those soldiers and drummers and snowmen and princesses and music and snow and lights. If only, if only. Sigh. I have been totally spoiled by Disneyland. Snowflake Lane is a fun holiday experience; it just falls a little short of magical.

BUT ... We still had a nice evening. All that holiday festivity was contagious. We strolled through Bell Square and grabbed hot cocoa before the show. Emma was thrilled to see Rudolph and the other reindeer suspended from the ceiling. We heard some carolers. We spent 20 minutes at Pottery Barn Kids and the kids played with tons of expensive toys we will never buy. Plus, we ate dinner at Red Robin and received a free Mud Pie (and, let's be honest, that made the trip worth it right there). The kids had a good time. (Of course they did! Hot cocoa, mud pie, peppermint lollipops!) Noah's favorite thing was riding the escalators. Weird, but that's what my 5-year-old digs these days. He was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a parade like I said there would be (which is probably why I was disappointed because HE was disappointed. It's the mama in me.) Tyler loved it and wrote all about it for his writing assignment at school. Emma just quietly, happily took it all in and became one with her hot cocoa.

Chance and I looked at each other and agreed that Disney would have done it better. But then, Disneyland isn't free.

"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles. "
~ Author Unknown

"Blast this Christmas music. It's joyful and triumphant."
~ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

6 comments:

TamBaum said...

Thanks for the rundown. I have been thinking about taking the kids and didn't really know what to expect. Now I do.

Unknown said...

We have always skipped it and we live so close. I think we will do it sometime. But yeah I hear ya about Disney. In college I worked at Disney World and no one can beat them at Christmas festivities. It's my favorite time of the year there. One Christmas years from now(Zeke and I think it's a great idea, hopefully we can pull it off) we want to not have a Christmas but go to Disney as our Christmas. Here's crossing our fingers.

The Ahlstrom Family said...

Oh no!! I don't know what happened, but when we went a few weeks ago, (the Friday after Thanksgiving) they did close down the street - and there was a parade! Even Santa was there! They came down one side of Bellevue Way, waving at everyone as they passed and then went down to the intersection of NE 8th and Bell. Way and turned around ~ repeating the whole thing for the people on the other side of the street. I'm so sorry that you missed it!! I would be disappointed also if I had missed that part!

Ashlee said...

Yep, you have to go the day after thanksgiving. That's when the parade is. Santa and everything!

bendanielsfamily said...

Michaelynn I went to it last year and it was great, parade, lots of soldiers dancing all about...about 30 min long...WONDERFUL. we just went this weekend (same weekend as last year) and it was TERRIBLE. very dissappointing. hopefully it will be better next year

Cailean said...

Ah yes yuppyville strikes again :) I'm sorry that does sound a little disappointing :(