Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkey & Penicilin

I used to get a lot of sore throats.  If someone had Strep Throat in a 100 mile radius, I got it.  I came down with a bad case of Strep right before Thanksgiving one year.  Since I hated shots, I opted for oral Penicillin.  This is strange because I also couldn't really swallow pills.  And these were serious meds - they were huge.  And my throat was, um... swollen.  (It took me years to achieve pill swallowing skillz, btw.)  So, this one Thanksgiving I stayed home from school all week and helped my mom get ready for the holiday.  And I had some serious difficulty getting those pills down three times a day.  My mother would crush them up in a spoonful of jam sometimes when she was tired of hearing me choke.  But on Thanksgiving Day I remember clearly shoveling in those pills with a mouthful of turkey.  (I don't know why - but for some reason I can totally picture Tyler doing this right now.)  Let me tell you there is nothing more disgusting to eat than turkey laced with Penicillin.  It has probably been 20 years since that day, but I can still taste it.  And unfortunately the memory returns at least once every year on Thanksgiving Day and a shudder of disgust runs through my body.

Looking forward to feasting (sans Penicillin) tomorrow! 

No comments: